Umer Pasha Blogs

www.umerpasha.com

Twitter for Sharepoint FREE!

I worked on getting client’s twitter feeds onto their sharepoint based intranet site today. Turned out to be easier than expected. Especially since someone else took the time out to develop a very nice twitter webpart available for free here from Amrein.

The provided instructions are very clear, precise and easy to follow. Somehow, I found the manual installation to be easier than the automated wsp one! This is what it looks like:

This is what it looks like!

Advertisements
1 Comment »

Debugger problem “The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document”

I ran into the problem of Visual Studio 2005 not debugging a standard Dot Net 2.0 ASPX based website. It would attach to the process and then show me the darn error at breakpoint “The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document”.  Looks like a known issue here at Microsoft.

Anyway, after banging my head on the wall for a an hour or so, it turned out I just needed to go to IIS, go to site properties, click “Configuration” , go to debugging tab and select “Enable Server Side Debugging”. Now, I knew about this but seeing that the same environment and project was debugged correctly for another page, i did not think it could be an issue. but there you have it 🙂

1 Comment »

SpeakToIt Android giving me issues!

So today, I installed SpeakToIt on my android phone. Supposedly its Android’s answer to Siri. Funnily…. it worked for a while and then just stopped. Showing me an error “I am not sure what happened but I will talk to my creators and they will fix it ASAP”. I tried everything….. force close, uninstall, reboot, cold boot……. everything with all different permutations!

Turned out, the problem was with Speech Synthesis that it made me install initially. I removed it…. and removed the 2 cache processes for it… and now it works fine. Well actually i am not sure…. but its one of the 2 things… either uninstall speech synthesis (SpeakToIt works fine even after I uninstalled SS, so it really cant be needed that much) or it was the cached process that needed to be closed.  For that, go to settings, applications, SpeakToIt and click clear cache. Do the same for running processes.

Leave a comment »

Finding GeoLocation using HTML5

HTML5 is really fun. Its like combining old school coding with ease of HTML and technology of the future.

Today I tried out geolocation services within HTML5. Turned out it is as easy as anything!

First you need to check if your browser supports that aspect of HTML5. As always….. i prefer Chrome over IE 😛

Here is the required Javascript:

window.onload = getMyLocation;

function getMyLocation() {

if (navigator.geolocation) {

navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(showLocation);

}

else {

alert(“Sorry, no geolocation support”);

}

}

The following JS will actually determine your location. I am assuming you have a div in HTML named “mylocation”. That is where the coordinates will appear:

 

function showLocation(position) {
var latitude = position.coords.latitude;
var longitude = position.coords.longitude;

var div = document.getElementById(“mylocation”);
div.innerHTML = “Latitude: ” + latitude + “, Longitude: ” + longitude;
div.innerHTML += ” (with ” + position.coords.accuracy + ” meters accuracy)”;
}

 

And that is about it….. this is the very basic information though but a good starting point. You can do a lot more than this…. calculate distance, convert distance units, map it on google maps etc.

Good luck integrating!!!

Leave a comment »

Sharepoint not downloading documents

Today I ran into a problem with Sharepoint 2007 not downloading documents from my document library. The files were pretty big (20 – 200 Megs). It was strange because suddenly the files which I was previously able to download also showed me an internal server error (500). Turned out, the issue was with not having enough disk space on sharepoint server :S Just cleared out some space on C drive of the sharepoint server and it started working fine.

Leave a comment »